Friday, October 22, 2010

My new boyfriend

I am so in love with my iPhone 4.

I really really do.

And I can't stop Grindr-ing. The guys on Grindr are so different than those on Axcest. At least, there're no kids. You tend to meet more mature and financially sound guys. And the interesting thing is, they're mostly hot.

I'm still waiting for one those with six-packs to buzz me. Which will always be a fantasy because I guess they only approach guys with similarly perfect bodies. Perhaps one you can take the initiative to?

It's kinda exciting sometimes when you realize there's a hot gay guy less then 500 metres away from you. However, as conservative as I've always been, I don't think I'll go beyond the 'boundary'. Not yet.

Today, something pretty embarrassing happened.

I actually missed the diagnosis of tricuspid regurgitation in a chap with decompensated congestive cardiac failure secondary to chronic rheumatic heart disease complicated with atrial fibrillation and prosthetic valve dysfunction. I should have referred to the echocardiogram before I presented the case to the cardiologist. 

Well, he impressed us with his ability to come out with the provisional diagnosis of tricuspid regurgitation just by placing his stethoscope on the patient's praecordium. Awesome.

Hmm. Why didn't I think of that when all my physical examination findings actually pointed towards that diagnosis? The pansystolic murmur at the left lower sternal edge? the tender enlarged liver (though it wasn't pulsatile) ? the elevated jugular venous pressure? the gross ascites and bilateral pitting edema? 

But then, I guess I'm excusable because that wasn't a very direct case. He'd had his aortic and mitral valves replaced. I could hear a cacophony of ejection systolic murmur and clicks here and there produced by the mechanical valves.

In medicine, you may know something theoretically. You may know all the manoeuvres to accentuate certain types of cardiac murmurs. But, when you actually see the patient, it's really not that simple. A lot of practice is needed. You may know everything in the textbook ( which I don't). Yet, if the patient is uncooperative or if you fail to present your findings confidently to the examiner, that's the end of the story. You've got to make an impression. That's why I feel so stressed, you see.

I learnt my lesson today. 

I will improve. =)

Exam's on Monday. No more Grindr-ing.

12 comments:

  1. ohh..Someone follow Takashi's footstep >> use Grindr..:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lucci...welcome to the iphone club *claps hand*

    P/s:see u in grindr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting case! I think sometimes experience helps a lot in making a diagnosis. I've always held the cardiologists in high regard. You're on your way to be a great doctor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i sayang sayang already. did you study? lol




    [Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

    ReplyDelete
  5. nicky, it's not his invention =p

    ash, err...lol. damn i hope u won't find me. plz.

    little dove, yeah experience is the single most important element i think. thanks for u compliment. :) i will work hard.

    jin, got ar got ar i got study xD. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have always known that i am not smart enough to do internal medicine, much less CARDIOLOGY :S

    3 months of pure cardiology drove my ego to the ground :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grindr is an app from hell. It's so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, ok...when I'm nearer to you, I will Grindr you...but I don't have 6-packs even I'm hot....lolx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. joshy, err. u did cardiology for 3 months???!!

    legolas, totally agree. haha.

    sky sky, err cheh. u dont know which is me oso. eh, it was rumored that u got 6 packs. =p

    ReplyDelete
  10. in regard with*damn i hope u won't find me. plz.*

    why is that so?as if i'm fucken ugly and u x want me to chat with u on grindr:(

    or maybe u think i might try find you on grindr??dont worry i didnt stalk people at there.lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, he's a cardio! He has probably heard a thousand murmurs in his working life :) Kinda like diagnosing lumps and bumps for a surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wao... passing by... sounds intense... jz starting my medic studies.. i can c loads of stress ahead -_-

    ReplyDelete