Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dreams

I dreamed a lot when I was a kid.

I dreamed of how my life would be like in future. Of marrying the girl who sat beside me when I was in Standard 1. Of never having to grow up. Of having my mom by my side eternally. In primary school, when asked to write about my ambition, I wrote about mine which frequently alternated between a fireman and doctor.

I dreamed of pursuing medicine in one of the world's most prestigious universities on a PSD scholarship. Of joining Doctors without Borders, saving lives in war zones or areas hit by natural disasters. Which sounds very ridiculous to me now.

I was naturally good at languages. And there was a period of time when I told my mom I wanted to venture into broadcast journalism and be newsreader like those on BBC or perhaps own a column in Time magazine.

Then, I realized I was sexually attracted to guys. I dreamed of having a six-pack by age 20. I planned to fall in love in university to help me survive the tremendous academic stress. In the meantime, I'd tell my mom I had no time to look for a girlfriend. I made a tentative plan to come out to her after attaining financial independence.

Maybe, by 30, I would have amassed enough money to afford a reasonably priced condominium and co-habitate with a live-in boyfriend, who's probably a fireman / mechanic with a six-pack who'd attend to my sexual needs all the time. In case I hadn't had the audacity to come clean to my mom about my sexuality, I might just come up with the brilliant explanation that he's just renting a room.

I had my life almost entirely mapped out. I made tons of dreams. Some of them realistic and most of them absurd. The girl who sat beside me in Primary 1 has recently got married, which awakened me to the realization of how much I've missed out on my love life.

Life isn't perfect. With all the challenges and hurdles. Sometimes, I feel very discontented. Disgruntled. Lonely. And demoralized.

But then, I tell myself it's pointless to linger on how much I've detoured from the path I'm supposed to be travelling on. On how much I've missed out. On the possibilities that may have become a reality if I weren't studying here.

I tell myself I have to extirpate these negative thoughts from my mind and enjoy the remnant of my university life.

I'll appreciate every moment in my life and continue to dream.

Who knows the gay MO will fall for me in the first month of my housemanship? Who knows I might be a successful interventional radiologist performing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting in one of finest medical centres in the country?

6 comments:

  1. the last paragraph.. i dont kinda get that shit but im digging it!! hahahaha... sorry.. a shallow person talking here :) good for you lucci!! continue to dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love mechanic too!just look at their veiny arms...yummy!but why most of them are straight??:(

    and gym instructors are quite ok too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not wrong to dream, nor it is any lesser to plan out your life... We are humans, and we tend to map out our lives and hope it goes accordingly... But plan changes... We changes... Everything changes... Nothing remains constant except for change...

    You're living in denial... In a closet yet you long for freedom from the mask you put on yourself... The plan of coning out at the age of 30 or financial freedom is sound but consider the riducule socially... even more so familially... If they truly love you, they will accept you regardless... even if it means double standards...
    Else... Well, I don't have to continue further...

    On the matter of your love life... Consider this: Is it better to have some who will love you for who you are (although not having the physique you wish for) or having the bombshell (who will serve your sexual needs) but loves you out of convenience (who might be promiscuous).... Whixh choice is better? Wishing for physically fulfilling or emotionally fulfilling?...

    Good luck... & sorry for throwing so many wrenches...

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dreams keep me looking forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's good to dream and it's best to work them out XD




    [Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

    ReplyDelete