Saturday, January 8, 2011

Parlez-vous Francais?

Attended a gathering at a karaoke lounge. To my astonishment, no one noticed that I gained weight. In fact, some of them asked if I'd shed some. What the heck? Haha. I hope they weren't being sarcastic.

Ahh. It's really tiring to live in a society that fetishizes slimness. When you're meeting a group of friends whom you haven't seen for ages, people will always gauge how much weight you have gained, or lost. It's a spinal reflex. But then, I guess I'm too self-conscious sometimes.

Bonjour! Comment ca va? Je m'appelle Lucifer. J'ai 24 ans. Je suis de Malaysia. Je suis gay. Je me sens seule. Je veux un copain.

Haha. How does that sound? It's an introduction of myself in French. I'd always wanted to learn a foreign language but never had the will too. Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I made a serious effort to. Was initially torn between Italian and French. Eventually, I chose the latter.

Why French? Well, somehow, I feel connected to it. There's quite a number of words and phrases in English which originate from French. For instance, joie de vivre, coup de grace, c'est la vie, faux pas, bon voyage, bon appetit, adroit, belle, ballet, a la carte and bureau. In medicine, you come across plenty of French terms too, namely peau d' orange sign, cafe au lait spots, cancer en cuirasse, coup and contracoup injuries, Boerhaave syndrome, Troisier's sign and so on.

The part I find most intriguing is the pronunciation. C'est magnifique! Besides, I find it very impressive to be able to speak a foreign language. I can imagine my future boyfriend boasting to his friends about how I can turn him on by whispering some dirty romantic French words to him.

Hopefully, I'll be determined enough to learn the language. They say that Italian sounds sexier. I might want to learn Italian too in future. I wish I had the time. Classes will resume next Monday.

Professional exam's in April. The mock exam falls precisely on my birthday next month. Great! Internal medicine. General surgery. Obstetrics and gynaecology. Orthopaedic surgery. Paediatrics. Radiology. Ahh crap! I don't even want to think about the study load now. Not to mention that I'll spend my 24th birthday burning the midnight oil. C'est la vie!

Au revoir! Bonne nuit.

10 comments:

  1. I can see this coming:
    Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)?

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching Coco Avant Chanel with goosebumps after goosebumps...
    Oooohhhhh!!!! The French!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to learn cantonese. Sexy dialect. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. i only know french fries and french kiss lor.. hahahaah..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. Votre francais est tres bien!
    Alor.. j'espere que tu vas bien :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chaz, i didn't know you could write French. but what does that mean anyway? sounds like something unhealthy.

    hdaren, why goosebumps? lol

    mr d, speaking of dialects, i think hokkien is sexier. =p

    tuls, can you teach me how to french kiss?

    delusion, nope. it refers to a cancer which has spread to the skin of the entire chest wall. it's usually described under breast cancer.

    Jon C, the hot banker, merci beaucoup! Je suis tres bien. =) Qui es tu?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucifer: C'mon!!! Their accent, men from the love capital of the world (which happens to be also the fashion country of the world)!!! Of course I get goosebumps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. tu es Malaisien, pas de malaysia xD

    Have fun learning French :D. Awesome language xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. everyone says i lost weight during old schoolmates gathering. it's not good to hear that.

    good luck in the exam though...




    [Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

    ReplyDelete