Monday, September 28, 2009

Back to school

My holiday has come to end. Sigh.

Classes will resume today. Coming up next is Combined Specialties Posting which comprises 3 subjects, namely anaesthesiology, otorhinolaryngology (ear, nose, throat or ENT) and ophthalmology (eye).

I'm glad that I spent my entire one-week break enjoying pastimes a holiday-deprived med student would during his or her leisure. A week of invigorating break is all I need to re-energize and prepare myself before I continue the battle.

I miss the days when my best friends and I carpooled to the hospital which is 40 minutes away from my campus. We're in the same group then and almost always did everything together for the first few years in med school. We were able to economize a lot on petrol. Sad to say, by an unfortunate twist of fate, we're now in different groups now. The grouping changes yearly.

Hence, I'm basically on my own now.

Due to financial constraints, I've decided to carpool with Navin, a group member of mine, from tomorrow onwards despite the inconvenience that I've anticipated. My car is quite old and annoyingly very fuel-consuming. I can't afford to drive to the hospital myself daily.

He's an average lovesick heterosexual who's very friendly and generous. And I am, by no means, a racist nor a heterophobe. The thing is, we aren't really close, you see. Not to the extent that he's willing to wait for me if I want to clerk an interesting case in the ward after office hour. Apart from that, he's an intelligent fellow who sometimes approaches things with a somewhat lackadaisical attitude. Whereas, I'm the mediocre and more kiasu one, admittedly. So, apparently, we have different ways of doing things and needless to say, minor conflicts as well as bickering matches are bound to take place. Oh ya... did I mention that he's extremely homophobic too?

I'm sort of in a dilemma. The only thing we have in common is our liking for DotA and swimming.

Never mind. I've got to learn to be mature somehow. I'll try to as patient and accommodating as I can. Well, I'm not evil, anyway. In fact, I'm pretty approachable and fun to be with. I just find it hard to participate in a conversation about girls with him.

No worries. Things will be fine. I look forward to seeing the cute doctors in the ward. And hopefully, Dr Phuah's still around. =D

14 comments:

  1. I'm still awake doing my assignments. Leaving your assignment until the last day of the holidays is such a pain in the ass, though it's worthy =)

    Gnight and hello classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh i hate ENT.
    i love opthalmo.
    anesthesiology - hurmmm...tough, but i revel at the thought of inducing reversible paralysis ahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. A future doctor who's homophobic? Didn't he study the books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well.....you just have to learn how to coexist with you, heterosexual and homosexual, we are just one big happy family hahaahha....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have found your mutual interests with him, which is good enough. There is no necessity to blend into each other's life that much, if two persons don't click. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. dude .. this is life ... u meet different people from different background as you move on... So be positive and treat it as a learning ground to deal with different ppl.

    All the best to your new posting and enjoy yourself eh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're a heterophobe, you're better off a hermit~~ LOL. I hate entertaining girl talk. Blegh. I can only talk about girls with GIRLS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Specialities Postings are always the most enjoyable! Sometimes we don't even need to open our mouth when another guy talks about girls, just listen, nod your head and make some comprehensible grunts. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  9. lm, well i hate that too. ahaha. but i seldom have assignments during holidays.

    maxxie, well, i'm not into anes ler.

    leggie, homosexuality is not in our textbooks coz it's not a disease.

    manglish, i will. thanks.

    cest la vie, i do click with him in certain ways. no worries i'll be good.

    tz, yeah. i know that. thanks for ur advice.

    kor, that makes the both of us.

    lil dove, nice trick. i'll do that next time. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. why do twinks like you have to be such show offs? disgusting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. emo-happiness, it's typical.

    anonymous, huh? what am i showing off? oh ya... just wanted to remind u that u can choose to read my blog if u find it disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the first day of pride month, my true love gave to me... a homophobe tied to a tree~~~ :)

    ReplyDelete