Sunday, August 15, 2010

A hole in my pocket

I must have fallen asleep on my bed. And I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to find my spectacle broken. Must have slept on it with my entire weight. Was extremely frustrated and angry with myself.

No wonder no one in the family supported my decision when I announced to them that I wanted to do medicine. I had to assure them that I would change to avert their skepticism of my capability which apparently stemmed from my carelessness and recklessness. Being meticulous and careful is prerequisite to becoming a safe doctor. Someone can die just because of your negligence.

I've always hankered for having a LASIK (laser-assissted in situ keratomileusis) surgery done so that I won't have to wear glasses anymore. Not only is wearing glasses cumbersome, it also makes me look geeky and dorky. Wish I weren't myopic and astigmatic.

I was 14 when the optometrist discovered I had myopia. Since then, I've spent thousands of ringgit on glasses, most of which were either misplaced and never found or broken. The fortune I've spent definitely exceeds the cost a LASIK surgery would incur. Despite the rare complications the refractive surgery might cause, our professor in ophthalmology told us it's safe and he would've said that the same thing had his daughters asked him for his opinion.

Anyway, I had to pay through my nose for a new pair of exorbitantly priced glasses yesterday. I think it suits me more than the previous one. But now, I'm so broke. :/ Besides, I'm anticipating a 10-minute tongue-lashing about extravagance from my mom when she receives the credit card bill at the end of the month.

I can't do without glasses. Contact lenses are only meant to be worn in occasions during which there's a need to look attractive. For instance, when I'm dating someone, clubbing or when I'm on webcam. Well, there's one deduction you can glean from this. Tuls can tell you how vain I am. =p Anyway, which gay isn't? Meh.

I'm under a lot of stress now. Will be sitting an exam next week, the scope of which encompasses obstetrics, gynaecology and neonatology. You'll most probably hear from me only after my ordeal has ended.

I feel so dead now. I shouldn't have procrastinated. Wish me luck.

14 comments:

  1. Take it as excuse to renew your spec since you look awesome in new one! Which gay is not vain? Money? Least priority lah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That you already know you need to change is one of the first few steps you have taken. You will be meticulous with patients. Don't worry.

    All the best in your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make it a point to always remove your specs before getting in bed. Even if you plan to read, do it without your glasses. Thats what I do. I have severe myopia and astigmatism as well!
    Reading about the complications of LASIK makes me not want to do it ever. Its just too scary.
    Writing stuff down in a book and then memorising them with your eyes closed helps. Thats what I do when I need to study a lot of stuff within a short period of time. Yeah, people think I'm crazy when I do it in the library. Good luck in your exams! Believe in yourself that you can do it, I'm sure it'll be fine then :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I'm sending you a package with LOTS of luck! :)

    My motto with exams has always been 'What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger'.
    Each time you come through an exam, you become more mentally fit for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... well, it serves you a deep reminder to you to be more careful of the things around you.. to be meticulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm....sometimes I think men with glasses are kind of sexy....but maybe I'm just narcissistic since I'm wearing one too -o.o-

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are Lucifer..how could you be dead again..hahaha..joking..:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Skyhawk: who said money is the least to be considered among gays...at east i am not (in some matters)...:P

    i had broken my specs as what u did...anyway i dun think i will ever try LASIK becoz specs will cover my panda eyes

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe!! the readers dowana know that lucci!! haahahahahahahhHAHAHAHAHAHAA
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete
  10. skysky, cannot lar. money is a priority. unless i found myself a sugar daddy :p

    carpe diem, thanks!

    j-boy, yeah i know that. i've sat for hundreds of exams in my life. but it doesnt get better every time.

    pikey,it's certainly a quality i need to possess.

    delusion, show us ur pic! =)

    darren,i've broken multiple pairs of glasses @.@ sleep more lar to get rid of ur panda eyes.

    tulsy! haha. well. *you know* xD

    nicky,you've got ur point there =D

    A, haha i m still in favor of LASIK. but not now,

    ReplyDelete
  11. if ur spec frame broken u can find the cheap2 one at mydin/other place for around 10 ringgit...after buy that go to the spec shop u always go and ask them to fix it.me doing that.

    p/s:me agree with delusion:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. just becareful next time. I change glasses more often than not, is due to scratches on the lens :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. some look professional with glasses on ^^




    [Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

    ReplyDelete