Monday, August 18, 2008

A bird unable to spread its wings

RW: Hey, we saw your car outside the mall.

Me: You did? ( Trembling…)

RW: Faster tell. Who did you go out with?

Me: What the hell?! You guys saw me with him…no I mean her? ( Sweating profusely)

TB: Nope. Feels like you don’t have lunch and dinner with us that frequent anymore. Who’ve you been going out with?

RW: Yaya. Are you seeing someone?

Me: It’s a guy. Don’t ask. (Heaving a sigh of relief…)

TB: Nah!! Liar! We aren’t kids. How can it be a guy? Faster tell. Who’s the girl? Do we know her?

RW: Be careful. Don’t let us catch you.

Me: Catch me if you can.

The perpetual interrogation I have to deal with drives me up the wall. The fact is, it’s a guy I’ve been going out with. I seldom mingle with my straight friends, who’re basically anti-gay, on weekends.

The sight of 2 immaculately dressed guys with meticulously waxed hair watching movie together on a Saturday night often suggests they’re a gay couple. That’s the likeliest differential diagnosis it invariably leads to. And definitely, when I’m out with my gay friend, bumping into my homophobic straight friends is the last thing I want.

I study in a small town where chancing upon my friends in a cinema or mall is something that occurs all too often. I avoid going to places they frequent. I park my car at secluded areas so that they don’t know my whereabouts. I’ve got to be very alert and vigilant every microsecond, with my antennae raised and prepared to vanish and submerge into the crowd anytime when a familiar face appears.
My personal space is being encroached upon and my freedom enormously restricted. I feel like a bird with a pair of beautiful wings but unable to spread them. A bird held in captivity admiring the exquisite beauty of the vast blue sky from inside its cage.

Damn. I daren’t think of what the consequences will be if they find out the so-called “girl” whom I’ve been hanging out with is in actual fact a GUY.

Straight guys can always gloat over the girls they date. And I never get to brag about the guy I go for movies with. A discrepancy between being straight and bent.

12 comments:

  1. How can you enjoy your date when you have to be on alert all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. why bother? just enjoy ur time lar. so wat if they found out u're hanging out with a guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guy... for me I don't really give damn. Friends who are homophobic? Too bad. Then they're not my friends anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Njoy ur time and watch movie la... spending with ur circle of frens can be challenging, eg most of my frens have different interest. meaning to say, we need to arrange different time to meet and do different kind of activities that suites our interest. hmmm.. i'll put it tat way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homophobics are really unreasonable, encountered one recently and I nearly scream at him!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you will have more reasons to come and lepak in KL liao... eh~

    ReplyDelete
  7. @leggie: it does affect the enjoyment. but can't help it lor.

    @ah bong: I'll be boycotted i guess.

    @alex: haih. what to do?

    @ian: thanks lo

    @anonymous: plenty of homophobes. get used to it. btw, u r? hehe

    @gor: yer. u think i chose to be here?

    @david de bf: i know la. but need to hv holiday first ma. i'm coming in nov wo. be free k?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @pikey: i got say u r david de bf meh? lol. ya la ya la. u r la.

    ReplyDelete
  9. heh.. come kl la.. u bump into me.. i pretend i dont see u!

    hahahahahahahha!!!! nola... but i keep bumping into people these days.. lol.. looks like Kl is not big either....

    ReplyDelete
  10. kk is small but beautiful..
    i really love the combination of mountains and sea!!
    so regret that i didn't study in sabah..
    huhu..
    anyway,nice blog!!

    ~benny

    ReplyDelete