Monday, August 4, 2008

Kiasu-ism

Kiasu-ism is an attitude rampant and deeply entrenched in our society. And needless to say, my school isn’t spared from its invasion too.

If you’ve watched Grey’s Anatomy, an interesting drama series revolving around the action-packed lives of a group of enthusiastic surgical interns fatigued by ward work, I’m sure you wouldn’t forget an unforgettable character – Dr. Yang, an American of Korean descent. She, apparently, is no demure woman. Her passion for and devotion to her job are clearly depicted by the way she talks and walks as well as her frantic and desperate attempts to scrub in on any surgery available. I find her a little self-centred and annoying at times.

Well, unfortunately, I do have course-mates who bear a striking similarity to Dr. Yang. They’re overzealous for knowledge and being the know-it-alls whom the lecturers salute and their classmates hold in high esteem. Their lives, I suppose, are pathetically governed by the motto of getting the best grades and outshining the rest. They beseechingly want to be ahead of others in whatever they do.

Sometimes, I find it hard to compete with such intimidating people, who’re easily identifiable by their bookish and kiasu appearance. Being late for lectures means I’ve got to sit at the back of the class where the slides aren’t clear enough and the voices of the lecturer barely audible. When new textbooks arrive, I’m usually the unlucky person who receives one with a few pages crumpled up or torn. Many a time, when I spot an interesting case in the ward which I feel like clerking, the patient declines to be examined, complaining that he’s been approached too many times. When the examination questions are leaked, you don’t expect to get any tips from them.

Admittedly, I’m not really a brilliant student, but not to the extent of being academically-challenged, of course. I mean, they’re people who score A’s and talk about distinctions, whereas I’d be jubilant if I manage to scrape through. You see, passing a subject isn’t at all a child play, particularly in a school with the passing mark fixed at 65%. In other words, if you get a B- or worse, it simply means you’ve failed. And you’ll be retained during the year break when others are happily vacationing in their respective hometown.

Co-existing with kiasu people really tires me and makes me feel bullied at times. It has sort of prodded me, to some extent, into becoming mildly kiasu as well.

Surviving in med school, it seems, does entail a certain amount of resilience and assertiveness.

7 comments:

  1. Agree that Kiasu-ism is rampant not only in academic institutions but even in the working world as you'll soon find out. The way I see it, take it with a pinch of salt, strive harder in whatever you wish to pursue but never forget your conscience or stepping on those around you to achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had been more kiasu, I might be able to get a better salary. But I'm just too lazy. Kiasu needs a lot of energy and time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh...
    Being kiasu is only natural to survive the rat race today...

    On a nother note...
    Kiasuness is living in everyone yet, the singaporeans discovered it...
    Tsk Tsk Tsk...

    Betul betul kiasu...

    ReplyDelete
  4. who cares to b kiasu or not..
    juz b urself..

    even thou, u dun hv good grades, or good books but u still can graduate..

    if u dun hv exam tips, just glad that u done ur exam by ur own!!

    my advice->
    dun b kiasu ppl cuz they wun enjoy their uni life, all their uni life aim is just to outshine other people and not to go learn or enjoy it..cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nase, leggie, glog: thanks for ur advice!:)

    tat: thx. i hv a senior whose name ends with tat too. n i was hoping u weren't him. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oopss..i hope u din forget me lo..
    of coz i'm not ur senior la..i'm p_Ea
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. i shee. u didn't address urself as tat oso. how i know? o.that's where ur nick egg tart comes from.heh

    ReplyDelete