Friday, September 12, 2008

Clinique

After all the exhausting and tedious mugging as well as 纸上谈兵in the pre-clinical years, it’s really an exhilarating experience to see in patients what the monotonous textbooks taught me.

I still remember how saturated my heart was with joy and a deep sense of achievement the first time I saw a clubbed finger and pitting edema, palpated an irregularly irregular radial pulse and an enlarged liver, elicited a fluid thrill and auscultated a cardiac murmur. It’s a pleasure to be able to feel the lumps and bumps which I could only visualize or imagine. And to realize what has been learnt is finally being put to use.

Sometimes, you know the theory well enough to impress the physician. But when it comes to doing it, things are messed up. The wheezes, crackles, crepitations and murmurs all sound nothing more than a cacophony of noises to me, when I’m actually putting the diaphragm or bell of my stethoscope on the patient’s chest.

---

I bought the first bottle of cologne in my life before departing the Penang airport. Clinique Happy for Men. It emits a fruity fragrance and is one of the very few perfumes that doesn’t give me a lingering and throbbing headache. I didn’t notice eau de toilette could be so symbolic of homosexuality prior to discovering that all my gay friends actually own at least a bottle of cologne each. Therefore, I purchased one. It did make me feel gay-er a bit.

Olfaction, or smell, as far as I’m concerned, is a magical and interesting thing. It can enhance your liking for someone you adore or accentuate your contempt for someone you dislike. It can make you horny or turn you off. It affects your impression of a person.

Well, it burnt a hole in my wallet. It’d better be a love potion or something equivalent to it. Hopefully, it’ll be a bonus that compensates for the rather unappealing criteria of mine that my potential predator or boyfriend will take into consideration. (Opps….sounds a bit bottom.)

By the way, where am I supposed to apply the cologne? On the chest (William’s suggestion)? Where else? (Honestly, I’m a first-timer.)

11 comments:

  1. On both wrists, or back of the ears as some people would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joe - This Legolas lured me to discover yr blog. You're so funny & we've some similarity, being a Penang Kia & Aquarian. What else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha..yeah, when my honey exposed me to buy a cologne, I felt a bit gay-er too..and the first time I used it was to spray it under my armpits and my honey went berserk after that..haha..Then, he told me to spray it on one side of the wrist, then dab it on the other wrist and then, rub it off on the sides of your neck..i was like..ok..and been doing that ever since ~

    P.S. Another way is to maybe, spray it onto your pubic hair..give a nice scent when *ahem* a guy blow ur *dragon*..haaha..but I have never done it before..hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @legolas: thanks. :)

    @twilight zone: lured? how did he lure u then? haha. is legolas cute? erm. i wasn't really raised in penang.similarities? erm. i wear spec too.

    @hamsap: dragon?? lol.i'm not as wild as u la.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cologne... woooo...

    i'm not gay then. la la la

    ReplyDelete
  6. bong ur not gay? maybe ur just not being so str8 then.. lalala~~ =P well i have a bottle of edt but i seldom use it coz one of my girl friend told me that it makes me too metrosexual.. Anyway i normally apply it on my wrist and then rub it on my neck just like what legolas said. If it is a spray typed of bottle, i just have a light spray it on my chest though.. sometimes just all over my body... Hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  7. @bong:u r still gay,whether or not u use cologne.

    @commonboy: spray all over the body??! lol. i don't want to finish the bottle in a month. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. The funniest way to apply perfume will be, spray in the air and step into the air which is filled with the smell~ scent shower~ lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. kai ting: wa. u think mosquito spray ar? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually spray it on one of my wrists then rub it gently against my other wrist followed by dabbing both wrists at the side of neck (below my ears). The key is to apply them on your pulse points. You should know better where are they. You're a med student right? Lol. Applying perfume or cologne on pulse points allows long(er) lasting scent.

    But still, it's your perfume. You can wear it wherever you'd like. Whatever rocks your boat ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete