Saturday, September 20, 2008

May you rest in peace, uncle.

My hypothesis was right. Dr. Edmund graduated from NUI. National University of Ireland. o.O He’s either very brilliant or very loaded. Or perhaps both. I saw his writing in the case notes. It’s astoundingly elegant and neat compared to my illegible clumsy scrawl. This is a rarity. I haven’t seen a doctor’s hand-writing as neat as his.

He was clerking a patient the other day. I stood behind him, pretending to be very attentive to their conversation. And I couldn’t resist the impulse to smell his body scent. I hope he didn’t realize it. It’s a little vague, but invigorating and orgasmic. Hehe. Does it sound nauseating to you? I always have tendency to do so as surreptitiously as possible whenever and wherever I spot a cute guy.

---

I had the opportunity to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on a collapsed patient in the emergency unit a few days ago. The medical assistants were apparently exhausted and my help was sought.

Dr X: Come on!! Faster! 100 compressions per minute!!
Joe: Ya. Trying.
Dr X: Eh, you’re like making a dough. Straighten your arms!
Joe: …..
Dr X: Use the strength of your entire upper torso!!

I heard some cracking sound when I was doing the compressions with all my might. Did I fracture his ribs?

Well, the poor old man didn’t make it though. Everything that could be done had been done. The tube and IV lines were removed. They switched off the electrocardiograph, stopped the ventilation and called the time. Sometimes, patients just don't respond. And they sink inexorably into death.

The family members were then informed and called in, their eyes teary and red. I guess they’d had the premonition that something tragic was imminent. Grief manifested itself on their gloomy faces. I stood aside, expressionless. My breathing gradually crept towards hyperventilation and I struggled to fight back a sudden wave of emotion the incident had brought on. It's hard to fathom the pain and emotional torment the death had inflicted on his family members. But I wish I never have to as it's obviously heart-wrenching.

Uncle, may you rest in peace.

13 comments:

  1. You had an orgasm in the ward? O.O

    My condolences to the uncle's family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In time you will feel no pain and numb, just doing what's required of you as a doctor. Cruel? Seemingly detached but that's the only way of protecting yourself. welcome to the world of medical practitioners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my condolence to the uncle family... and hope you are handling your emotions well during those difficult times in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like a strong hunk both physically & emotionally. If I ever lie on the bed, waiting for CPR, I hope it will be your arms! LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you tried all your best....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ian, may he

    ld,figuratively yes.

    nase,i'm fine la. no worries. :)

    pikey:thx for ur concern

    twilight,err,u sure? u want me to do it? coz u may never make it if i do it.lol

    gor,ya lo. so hiao.

    alex,err...i was actually practising my CPR skills on real patients (for the first time)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aiyo i thought who die o. Hoho. But is it ur first patient dying?

    ReplyDelete
  8. dr E, the new houseman u lust for is both brilliant and rich. Very humble and apologetic too. One of the best students in his graduating class....so you better get close with him

    p/s : he's extremely religious

    ReplyDelete
  9. anonymous,erm,could u be dr edmund? lol. he doesn't smile to me that much anymore. does he know abt what i wrote abt him?

    ReplyDelete
  10. no la.....i am not that quite close to him (though he was my college mate!) I swear I did not tell him or anyone else about ur infatuation...

    don't worry, he is very accomodating and friendly. Be nice to him and he will certainly help u.

    p/s : i like ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol...i wouldn't mind if u had told him la.

    let's get straight to the point. is he gay?lol

    err.what's ur name la? y so anonymous? do u hv a blog too?

    ReplyDelete