Thursday, December 25, 2008

I told her

I thought she knew it, after being in the same class for 3 years.

We mingle a lot with each other. We were once group mates and had gone through thick and thin. I accompanied her to the endoscopy clinic a week before my finals when she was suffering from severe dyspepsia resistant to proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs). I waited for 30 minutes near her block at night to give her a piece of Chocolate Indulgence from Secret Recipe, because I knew she’d like it. I assisted her when she shifted out from campus. Darn. Which straight guy on earth would do these for a girl without an ulterior motive?

And….I don’t play soccer. I’m obviously the only guy in class who actually gives a damn about his weight. I’m a classical cam-whore. I’m self-loving and indecisive. I won't know what to do if my car is broken down. The colour of my shirt always matches my pants’. I always look more presentable than my bookish male course mates. I shop.

However, apparently, and disappointingly, she didn’t even have the tiniest suspicion that I might be gay. How can she be so insensitive? I thought girls had very accurate intuitions.

Last night, we had a casual chat via MSN. And the topic of conversation happened to revolve around relationships. I could take it no more and decided to tell her, without considering that she might not be receptive to homosexuality.

“Eh… It’s not that I don’t want to get a girlfriend. It’s just that, I don’t like girls. You get me?”

I don’t think I got a reply.

Yet, a few moments later, my phone rang. It’s her. A wave of regret engulfed me. I didn’t answer. And it rang again…incessantly. I mustered up my courage and answered, when it rang for the 3rd time, with the mental preparation to deal with the bombardment of questions that would ensue.

" Hey, are you sure about your sexuality? Have you tried it before? Will it help to straighten you if I offer to let you kiss me? Don't you find me attractive? I thought you went to a co-ed school? Why are you gay? It's a waste that you're gay, you know?"

" Duh!! It's not like I've been gay since a few days ago, k?"

Her reaction to my coming out was a concoction of shock, concern, acceptance, excitement and jealousy (because she realized from then onwards that she’d have to compete harder for the hot guys who’re mostly taken or gay?). A typical response. I’ve come out to a few straight beings, guys and girls included, and the reaction they show is invariably the same.

Nevertheless, I’m glad that she’s okay with my being gay. And am proud that I’ve got a new fag hag who’s willing to be my date on Valentine’s day, provided that I’m still single by next February.

Thanks, CH, for being my friend. =)

Oh ya, she actually asked if I was a top or bottom, which totally rendered me speechless.

19 comments:

  1. hey hey, nice to meet ya, thx for the dropby and comment a~~

    yep, i'm a KK-an also, haha..

    so brave a you, so easy to tell a friend about your true self.. So long i remember that each of them that i told, i've gone through a say-or-not-say-self-mind-battle, LOL

    but anyway, nice to meet ya~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the first step to coming out, I guess. Give her time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... at least she's accepting. Congratulations for being yourself and brave :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagining myself in her shoes I'd probably ask "So what's your preference?" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that she takes it okay. It was a bit hard for some of my friends at first too - but eventually, they realized that I'm no different from who I was before. :)

    Be prepared for a lot of questions about sex though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. watson: you just need to tell the right people. :) hugs

    savante: that's not my first step though. I came out to a few friends like 4 years ago.

    alex: thanks. :) i knew she would.

    jim: she didn't. but she did ask if i were top or btm. haha.

    sam: questions on sex? lol. ok. m equipping myself with the answers. coz i'm rather inexperienced when it comes to that. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember that woman has 2 mouths. Some tend to over eat or over talk. Just tahan lah. 5 days to a New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. why are u speechless?

    lol... can tell from your face lol............. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. and i think not all females can tell.. only those who's "exposed" to gay environemnts or have gay aquintances, will know.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, another obstacle cleared with someone close to you. ^_^

    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete
  11. bong: it is. :)

    twilight: i think i can trust her.

    takashi: what can c fr my face jek? >.<

    not everyone can c geh..! :p

    anton:thanks. hehe.what mantras do chant?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi lllearned,

    err. nah. i don't feel the dying need to come out. doesn't make a lot of difference. i came out to her coz she's a good friend of mine n i want to be myself when i'm with her. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. owh my.....what a drama u got here~

    anyway, glad that she accepts u the way u are =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AJ, wasn't really a drama la. it just took me once sentence to tell her.:) thanks anyway

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehe such a sweet friend, to show so much concern for u (: keep her close ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pengz... offering herself for u to kiss in order to get u straight. REally naive le. Luckily she not meant offering her body :P

    ReplyDelete