Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Obstacles

I always count my blessings for having come across a few charismatic clinicians who impress us immensely with their knowledge and professionalism. Even the way they talk and walk is enough to make me idolize them.

They're always willing to teach even though it's not their duty. They get their points across eloquently in impeccable English and in a way that can hold you spellbound. I emulate them. I tell myself I want to soar like an eagle and be as good as them in future. Sad to say, they're a rare species.

I'm not happy with the hostility displayed by certain doctors. They say things like ' You're not allowed to follow my ward round unless I get a formal letter of permission from your uni ', with a I'm-not-paid-to-teach-you-so-why-should-i? look on their faces. In Malaysia, medical education is under the Ministry of Higher Education, whereas the staff in government hospitals are under the Ministry of Health. Hence, theoretically speaking, they're not responsible for teaching us. Yet, I don't know why they have to be so mean even though we've really humbled ourselves.

I'm not sure if my counterparts in other local universities are facing the same predicament, which certainly poses a great deal of inconvenience to us. There're many limitations which hinder us from learning. This is extremely depressing.

I wish I were outstanding enough to be granted the PSD scholarship. Damn. Why didn't I score an A1 in Chinese? That'd have made me a more eligible applicant. I seethe with jealousy and frustration whenever I see how well some of my brilliant friends are doing abroad. Asking my parents to fork out a substantial amount of their savings to finance my medical education in a private institution just doesn't seem to be a humane thing to do. Consequently, I ended up being somewhere I didn't really like. A place so sparsely populated by gays that I've become unbelievably desperate over the years. A place with many more imperfections which I can't list down here one by one.

Well, there're many things in life which you just have to live with without complaints, mainly because you're given a Hobson's choice.

I'm worried of how graduates from other prestigious universities will look at us when we embark on our medical profession in future. Despite the defective system I'm in, I hope that the discrepancy in terms of quality will not be too obvious.

Guess what I can do now is to optimally utilize whatever I have, see as many patients as I can and study as much as possible. I've got to to stop complaining, relegate thoughts that do me no good to the back of my mind and appreciate what God has bestowed upon me. I always tell myself everything happens for a reason. A defensive mechanism which invariably makes me feel better.

I'll try not to kill after graduation next April.=)

17 comments:

  1. Some doctors forget who they were before. Others do unto you what they received. So the vicious circle continues. You shall get a chance to make that difference one day in the near future.

    It is the human touch ingrained in each and everyone of you that make the difference, all other things equal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same everywhere. But you do get nicer doctors and staff nurses at district hospitals. Believe in yourself. Thousands apply for a place to study medicine at local universities yet only a selected few make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bf had a very bad experience when he was having his rotation in GHKL. The superior whom he reported to, is deemed to be nasty, cocky and unreasonable...he suffered 1 mth there before his 2nd mth in Selayang Hospital. Well, probably every doctor has gone thru this and they will treat their junior like this when they become senior...

    ReplyDelete
  4. In future, you might be one of them..:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's inevitable to 'kill' somebody, whether knowingly or unknowingly. :P. Do your best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. carpe diem, i shall stop the vicious cycle! haha

    little dove, is it really the same? argh.

    skyhawk,but i ain't a dr yet. still a student. am mentally preparing myself for what lies ahead.

    nicky, one of who?

    william, haha. i will =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try your best on your part and learn not to be that kind of heartless doctors. I have faith you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's negligence that kills. not heartlessness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. put your heart into what you do and you will do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha. drew, thanks for the advice. i will! xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. lucifer, u know what? i have exactly the same condition with u... i get an A2 for my mandarin though i usually score it quite well... n end up i din get the chance to get JPA scholarship.
    anyway, i'm still happy that i study in Malaysia. may be u should look at the good site of it.. u learn the diseases which are more common in malaysia. well, i know its great studying abroad, but may be its just not our luck, ahha~ indeed i'm proud being in UKM..

    regarding the doctor's attitude, i guess everywhere has the same problem, i dont know what makes them think like that. and its so different in Taiwan right? but cant make comparison la. emm, just bare in mind dont b like them in the future, i'm sure u wont ^^

    Good luck for ur professional next year, mine still one and half year to go T.T
    ok good luck for both of us =)
    nice reading ur blog ^^

    *p/s: i dont really understand the middle part of this blog, why u added some unrelated point here? just wonder, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. I think Nicky meant that sooner or later, u'll be one of those "mean" senior doctors towards your juniors because it seems that's how the system works on doctors..Sorry to say though.

    But on the good side, i think that there are more and more gay doctors nowadays and i hope you are lucky to find some whn u start working nxt year ya! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ian, thanks. but u used to read my blog in the past.

    de zhi, thanks a lot for ur encouragement. yeah i totally agree with u with the setting in taiwan. if only the situation here could be half as good.

    simonlover,hahaha the increasing number of gay doctors is quite unrelated to this post. but....i do like this fact. hahaha. don't torture med students if u happen to see one k.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucifer, if I can rmbr u move from multiply to blogspot?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ian, i was previously silencer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucifer,

    Nice blog you got here.
    You may not realize it now,but your uni's doing a fine job preparing you to work in Malaysia.Aprreciate it to the max because not everybody gets a chance like what you have.

    Yes,some doctors are can be horrible.They'll yell and shout ,ignore you if you ask questions and so on.

    kepp going on~!

    ReplyDelete