Thursday, January 15, 2009

Of corpses and dead bodies

I never knew that medical doctors needed to be equipped with the knowledge of performing an autopsy or a post-mortem examination.

I just came to know about it not too long ago when I was introduced to forensic medicine. Autopsies are basically done to determine the cause or nature of death, identify a dead body, estimate the time of death and so on. The forensic department can be likened to a slaughterhouse. Corpses are cut open. Organs, including the brain and heart, are sliced in to pieces. And there’s blood everywhere.

I still vividly remember the very first autopsy I observed months ago. The horrendous look of the partially decomposed remains discovered couples of days after the man died was etched in my mind for some time. Putrefaction (liquefaction of soft tissues) had occurred. Skin peeling and discoloration were present. There was gross gaseous distension of the face, abdomen and scrotum. What greeted my eyes was far more hideous than the nicely preserved cadavers I saw during my anatomy lectures in 1st year.

In addition, the sight of maggots crawling all over the body surface of the corpse and greedily devouring the flesh sent shivers down my spine. Hundreds of them. As soon as the unbearably disgusting stench assaulted my nostrils, I immediately knew the amount of patience being a forensic pathologist would entail. It’s the most unpleasant smell I’ve ever smelt. 20 times worse than that of a dead cat left unattended for 5 days.

When I first met Dr JH, I thought she’s a physician. Perhaps a pharmacist. Or a doctor in a specialty which doesn’t involve a lot of blood. She always puts on the smile an unemployed housewife married to a rich man would. And I was really taken aback when I later learnt that she’s actually a renowned forensic pathologist with a rather formidable qualification that’d be teaching us forensic medicine.

I guess I’m fine with dealing dead bodies. Yet, it certainly is an option I’ll never take into consideration if I ever have the opportunity to specialize in the distant future.

22 comments:

  1. OMG!!

    i can't even stand a dead cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I would die if I have to deal with dead bodies - even newly dead ones. Probably the idea of being around something that is dead and lifeless and about to rot just scares me. Or disgusts me. Or both.

    Probably why I would never work in a morgue or a funeral parlor - ever. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh...
    more horrific stuff to look forward to i guess...
    and i thought dealing with the cadavers for anatomy was bad enough... lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They just leave the maggots there and it's business as usual...?

    There was a decomposing cat in my drain and that was already horrible enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, a doctor's gotta do what a doctor's gonna do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to watch Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) but i don't think i could deal with dead bodies... errrrr

    ReplyDelete
  7. A far cry from what we see on CSI tv series eh..

    ReplyDelete
  8. maggots, devouring, corpses! i just dropped by your blog. haha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well get used to it :) You might get sent to a lil isolated hamlet where you're the only MD in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A smile can be very deceiving. Most consultants have very sinister smiles. Haha.

    I remember putting on two face masks for my first autopsy. Your description is absolutely detailed and gory. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. JD cole, that's not surprising. :)

    sam, lol,ur response is really cute. you wouldn't die la. hehe.

    cyid, well,not horrific la. just not very pleasant to the eyes. u'll get used to it. :)

    william, well.i guess so. i didn't see them remove the maggots.

    glog,well.no choice lor.

    benny, i don't think it's great at all.

    pikey, definitely!

    TZ,well,that's understandable.

    ekkonen the cutie, thanks for dropping by. hehe.

    savente, really? can i call u to come help me then? XD

    little dove,yep. i do agree. very unpredictable. well,i suppose the first corpse u saw wasn't in a condition as horrible n disgusting as the one i saw?

    ReplyDelete
  12. u painted such a vivid picture that my imagination made it real in my mind. i will probably remember this post like...for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh...did i? i described only 50% of what i saw.n perhaps u only imagined 50% of what i wrote. the true picture is really frightening and nauseating. ehehehe...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. deal with it. life's already a bitch when you chose medicine. if you haven't realized that, then you haven't seen bitches. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was post-mortem for a murder case.

    ReplyDelete
  16. do you know that emblaming a corpse is the most high paying jobs in the market? and they get 11 months bonus..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I applied for forensics once, i am glad i didn't get it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. That makes me weird then.

    Cos I kinda liked watching the whole process... it's almost artistic! A learning experience.

    The body was of a 'robber?' shot dead by the Police.

    ReplyDelete
  19. takashi, erm...i don't think embalming dead bodies is part of forensic medicine la.

    darren, i think that's forensic science you were applying. i don't think forensic science deals with cutting open dead bodies..

    joshy, eeewwww....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uhuh...

    I'm glad there's no such thing as undead in real life, for the very reason you just described. Imagine Dirge the Undying :\

    ReplyDelete
  21. dirge is interesting.hehe.i heard they made some modifications to it in the 6.58 version

    ReplyDelete