Saturday, July 19, 2008

Life and death

I was on call for the first time last night.

I managed to conduct 2 normal deliveries under close supervision and with the assistance of a staff nurse. It is an enchanting experience, to pull out a baby from his mothers' pussy and hear his cries, which herald the journey of an entirely new life.

Besides, I happened to witness an obstetric emergency too. It was announced that there was a red alert in one of the OTs. When Jamie and I arrived, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was being done. Things were dramatic. The obstetricians, anaesthetist and medical officers tried their best to bring the patient to life, but to no avail. We were later told that the patient died due to primary postpartum haemorrhage following a lower-segment Caesarean section (LSCS).

When I was browsing around in the delivery suite at midnight, I was told that CH had got a boyfriend. A bombshell that depressed (not clinically) me for several minutes. Felt kind of demoralized. Demotivated. Sigh. ζ€ŽδΉˆεŠž?

I left the hospital at 5.50 am, fatigued and down, because of that.

Anyway, life moves on. I have encountered much worse predicaments in my life than that.

6 comments:

  1. 0.o Now i hate you more... why so fast can deliver babies one?! we only got to do that in our final year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty more fishes in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bong: come here for a few days lo.we deliver together.no one will know u r fr um de.

    anonymous: yeah.i'm aware of the fact. thx. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life and death seem like much bigger issues, but when we are detached from it, it just seems trivial. We have to go on with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first death on your hands will always feel awful. Sigh. But there's only so much that you can do after all... Sigh.

    About the other issue, anon is right, plenty of fishes out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. gor: i'm fine with it. no worries :)

    paul: it wasn't on my hands la.lol. but i really m okay with it.=) thx.

    ReplyDelete