Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What I'd tell an angel

My mom called last night.

Me: Why am I so big in size? Did you have gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) when I was in your womb?

Mom: I don’t know.

Me: Did you give birth to me by Caesarean section?

Mom: No. You came out from down there.

Me: Was it painful? The obstetric patients in the hospital look so painful when they’re in labour.

Mom: Of course it was!!

Me: You still remember?

Mom: Of course!! If you ever treat me badly in future. I will….

The hospital is a living hell where people go through immense sufferings, emotionally and physically. They say it is a place where you pay off your debts that you owed and get punished for the sins you committed in your previous incarnations.

Cancers devour your flesh, make you cachexic, deprive you of your zest for life and eventually dampen your determination to move on. Renal failure makes you a candidate for haemodialysis and significantly deteriorates your quality of life. Chronic diabetes mellitus puts you on a higher risk of developing stroke, decelerates the healing process of your wounds, blurs your vision and so on. Stroke may rob you of your ability to speak and lead to contralateral hemiplegia and sensory loss or visuo-spatial deficit, depending on where the infarcts in your brain are.

My mom plays a vital role in making who I am today (except the gay part).Had it not been her unconditional love and support, I don’t think I would have survived all the hurdles I have come across. I’m scared that someday, my mom will end up in the hospital too, crippled by diseases and haunted by the fear of dying. I hope that she’ll always be blessed with good health and if possible, longevity. This, is what I would tell an angel, if he offers to honour a wish of mine.

Mummy, I love you. :)

3 comments:

  1. Think my sis had GDM. Like a Mother's Day post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so did ur nephew weigh like 4.8kg?lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. none of us wished that lor. Hopefully everyone we love will live a long healthy happy life.

    ReplyDelete